Carpal tunnel injections are a treatment option for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. The syndrome is a condition of the hand and arm caused by compression, crowding or irritation of the median nerve located in the carpal tunnel region of the wrist. Your wrist consists of a bunch of small joints that can make small tasks panful, our pain management specialists in Austin can relieve you of the pain and provide fast & safe care.
While there are many possible causes of carpal tunnel syndrome, it often develops as a result of:
- Anatomic factors like a wrist fracture or dislocation
- Nerve-damaging conditions like diabetes
- Inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Fluid retention (common during pregnancy or menopause)
- Work factors such as doing the same repetitive hand movements over time or using vibrating tools.
- Gender – women are more likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome, which has been attributed to the relatively smaller size of the carpal tunnel area in women compared to men.
Treatment Options for Carpal Tunnel
There are many treatment options for patients suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome including medication and physical therapy. Injections are an option for patients looking to relieve pain and lessen inflammation in the region. The procedure involves an injection of cortisone (a steroid medication used to relieve pain and inflammation) into the tunnel. Following the procedure, the wrist may feel uncomfortable. Over the next few days, it is important for the patient to move the wrist regularly. The patient can usually get back to normal activities in a few days.
Pain relief duration varies from patient to patient. While steroid injections offer pain relief, it may take several injections over time to fully relieve the pain and discomfort associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Improvement may last a few weeks, months, or longer.
Schedule an Appointment Austin’s DPC to Relieve your Pain
Work with Austin’s top pain clinic for excellent care and immediate results. Contact us to set up your appointment and eliminate your wrist pain!